ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Thu Jun 14 05:36:39 CEST 2007

I agree with Addison completely.  Unless Mark or someone else can find
real-world examples of "mis" being used for a language that has its own ISO
639 code element and/or language tag -- not hypothetical examples or
extrapolations or theory -- there is no "narrowing" argument.  We have gone
to great lengths to assert that "mis" isn't like the other collection codes,
and now the JAC has made a decision which reflects that assertion.  Let's
make the appropriate change to the Registry and be done with it.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/