ISO 639 decision: arc = Official Aramaic; Imperial Aramaic

Simon Montagu smontagu at smontagu.org
Tue Jun 5 19:31:09 CEST 2007

Håvard Hjulstad wrote:

> There are many languages called "Xyz Aramaic"; see the ISO 639-3 web
> site: http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/. It was found that "arc" had
> previously been used practically exclusively for "Official Aramaic",
> and it was deemed more appropriate to modify the name to reflect
> that.

So is there no specific language code for other forms of Aramaic? If I
have pages that use "arc" for quotations from the Zohar, what should I
use instead?

I confess I have no clue how many documents survive in Official Aramaic
or where they can be found tagged with language codes, but today I
happened across the Aramaic Wikipedia with 412 articles at
http://arc.wikipedia.org/