Proposal to add "Kore' as Suppress-Script for 'ko'

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Sun Jul 29 16:49:53 CEST 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> Han characters are commonly used even on business cards for personal
> names.

Indeed, if I understand correctly, personal names are the number one use
case for Hanja.

> I would like to approve this now, and not bother with two full weeks
> more of discussion. The conclusion is foregone.

If anything, Randy's off-list research may have shown that pure Hangul
(ko-Hang) is more common than we thought.  The script subtag is supposed
to reflect the script, not the choice of vocabulary.

RFC 4646 says we have to run out the full two-week review period,
without shortcuts.  There is no emergency rush for this (or any other)
Suppress-Script, and the two weeks do not need to be contentious.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/