Proposal to add "Kore' as Suppress-Script for 'ko'

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 11 16:14:16 CEST 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> I think it's wrong. Kore is an alias for two scripts. This
> Suppress-Script thing, how is it to know that a paragraph in Chinese
> with three words in Hangul in the middle isn't really Chinese and not
> Korean? Kore makes sense from the point of view of ISO 15924, but not,
> I think, in terms of the automated stuff Suppress-Script is supposed
> to do.

Suppress-Script doesn't do any automated stuff, in the sense of script
analysis.  It's supposed to tell the tag producer (using "cy-Latn" as an
example) to write "cy" instead of "cy-Latn", because most Welsh is
written in Latin and the script subtag normally doesn't add enough
information to justify the confusion caused to matching engines that
remove subtags from the right.  And it's supposed to tell the tag
consumer that if it receives a "cy" tag with no script information, Latn
might be a good guess.

> I could be wrong. But my impression is that this request is unsafe.

I withdraw the request.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/