Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 26 20:41:32 CET 2007

Hi Frank, all:

> > But it is up to IETF!  to you all!
>
>Terminology nit:  "The IETF" is directly only responsible for RFCs
>passing an IETF last call (including all BCPs).  BCP 47 about the
>registry, and another BCP about the procedure to select their area
>directors (= the IESG, they appoint the reviewer and handle appeals).

My original meaning: 'it's up to you now to make the decision;' sorry if it
sounded negative.
">
>Sometimes it makes me very nervous if folks claim that it's the fault
>of "the IETF" if some dubious RFCs were published, and there was never
>any IETF last call.  Maybe it's the fault of the IETF if their appeal
>procedure wasn't good enough to fix it, but I digress.
>
>For your issue at hand, the longest description in the "4645bis" I-D:
>
>Minnan, Hokkien, Amoy, Taiwanese, Southern Min, Southern Fujian, Hoklo,
>Southern Fukien, Ho-lo
>
>94 characters.  In essence I agree with Addison, short and sweet
>descriptions are better than long and convoluted descriptions, and
>if that's not clear enough you can put anything else in a comment.

So nothing longer than 94 characters and preferably something a bit shorter
is needed to be in keeping with the current norms;

Early modern French (17th century)"

is 34 characters I think; though I note most descriptions of currently
registered variants are 2-3 words.

>For "Moon" we're forced to copy the redundant descriptions as is,
>for variants we're free to beautify it.  Add TINW as needed... :-)
>
> > But no one liked using the century!!
>
>IIRC some didn't like the century "encoded" in the variant subtag,
>in a comment or description it's not the same issue.
>
>Frank

Thanks!  So 17th century is a possibility in the description--if people
prefer it.
I leave this up to general consensus.

Sincerely,
C. E. Whitehead