Valencian registration redundant tags; prefixes; more information

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 26 06:42:13 CET 2007

Addison Phillips scripsit:

> >Tags with two-word codes indicating region (for example a region of
> >China)--
>
> Huh?

TW, HK, and MO, presumably.  They are still treated as different from
China by the U.N. Statistics Division, so we still carry them (and
will continue to do so even if UNSD changes its mind).

In general, such cases get region subtags only if UNSD thinks they are
very different economically from the parent countries.  That has nothing
much to do with language, but it's what we are stuck with.

--
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.
        --Arthur C. Clarke, "The Nine Billion Names of God"