rejecting proposals based on syntax

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 17:19:41 CET 2007

Doug wrote:

> We are starting to see more cases where (1) a well-meaning
> individual proposes a syntactically invalid subtag, (2) the
> ietf-languages group objects to the proposal on syntactic
> grounds, and (3) the proposer is left with the mistaken
> impression that the group is not receptive to new subtags, or
> is opposed to the language in some way.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Perhaps we as a group could be more receptive.  In
other words, don't tell a well meaning individual that they have got it
wrong and "READ THE RFC".

It would be more than useful if those in the know could actually propose
corrections; you don’t have to support the application itself, just support
the end user process.  I see no reason why people should have to read,
digest and fully understand a 68 page document when all they require is a
simple sub tag.  Those of us on this forum who understand the RFC can guide
them through the process.

This would create an inclusive, friendly forum as opposed to a forum where
we have those in the know and those not in the know.  It would also
encourage more people to request the sub tags that they need and perhaps
stop people from creating their own.  I believe that is what standardization
is all about.

2 cents or 2 pennies... Whatever... That was mine!

Debbie