Fw: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

GBH00998 at correo.aeat.es GBH00998 at correo.aeat.es
Mon Jan 22 12:47:46 CET 2007

Dear Sirs,

I forward the request in plain text. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Also, I would like to take the opportunity to make some comments:

Addison Phillips wrote:
>1. Region subtags cannot be registered. Only languages and variants can
>be registered. Just because a variation is regional in nature or scope
>doesn't mean that a region subtag is the best way to identify it. After
>all, most dialects are regional in nature. However, region codes in
>language tags go no lower in scope than the nation-state level.

However it's registered the "chinese of Hong-Kong (zh-hk)" and the "chinese
of Macao (zh-mo)" and both are regions of China. Aren't they?

>"If Valencian is a dialect of Catalan, the way to indicate that is via a
>variant subtag. I note that the (alas English) word "valencia" is eight
>characters long (the maximum length)."

The origin of Spain like a mixture of several kingdoms merged each other to
increase the military power in order to be able to fight against the
muslims between 711 to 1492.
Each kingdom developed a dialect of the "modified latin" that existed
previously to the invasion of the muslims in 771.

Note that Cataluña always have been a part of the Kingdom of Aragon and
never have been a kingdom by itself! In contrast, the Kindom of Valencia
existed and was politically close to the Kingdom of Aragon.

Obviously, in that times, language cuestions were irrelevant and it has
been in that way since the end of the "reconquista" in 1492 (when the last
Kingdom of Granada was reconquisted and all the Iberic Peninsula was under
the command of the same power) up to the born of the nationalism in the XIX
century.

After that, with Franco, regional languages were prosecuted due that
nationalist parties fighted against him in the spanish civil war. But to
compensate this fact, and under political pressures (that grows day by
day), the Spanish Constitution of 1978
(http://www.congreso.es/funciones/constitucion/cons_t_preliminar.htm) in
the Article 3 establish that the official language of Spain is castillian
(aka spanish) (Art. 3.1) and it admits that each Autonomic Comunity
(hereinafter CA) can establish their respective co-official language
established by their respective "estatuto" (Art. 3.2).

In the particular case of the Comunidad Valenciana's Estatuto, and only in
the estatuto of such CA, it mentions the language valenciano as the
co-official and doesn't mention anything about catalan:
See: LEY ORGÁNICA 5/1982, DE 1 DE JULIO, DE ESTATUTO DE AUTONOMÍA DE LA
COMUNIDAD VALENCIANA [DOGV núm. 74, de 15 de julio]
http://www.gva.es/cidaj/cas/c-normas/5-1982.htm#9

So it is reasonable to think that although valenciano can be considered a
dialect of catalan, its use is limited (by law) to the Comunidad
Valenciana.
On the other hand, it is reasonably to think that RFC 4646 is maybe too
rigid not allowing lower levels than the nation-state levels due the
complexity of all possible scenarios (particularly in Spain).

NOTE: The main reason I request this sub-tag, is no other that to insert
the language "Valencian" in the options of the browsers in order to serve
the homepage of (www.aeat.es or www.agenciatributaria.es) in the suitable
language to the users since their first access. At the moment it can be
helped for spanish, galician, catalan and valencian (baske in a future). I
supose that a "variant language" wouldn't appear in the list of the
browsers, so for our purpose it would be useless. Please let me know if i'm
wrong.

Thank you very much in advance.

Yours faithfully,
Gabriel Babiano

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Gabriel Babiano Huete (Agencia Española de
Administración Tributaria)

2. E-mail address of requester: gabriel.babiano at correo.aeat.es

3. Record Requested:

Type: region
Subtag: ca-VC

4. Intended meaning of the subtag: Valencian is a language slight different
from catalan that is spoken in the region: "Comunidad Valenciana" (code
"VC" of ISO 3166-2:1998)

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):
LEY ORGÁNICA 5/1982, DE 1 DE JULIO, DE ESTATUTO DE AUTONOMÍA DE LA
COMUNIDAD VALENCIANA [DOGV núm. 74, de 15 de julio]
http://www.gva.es/cidaj/cas/c-normas/5-1982.htm#9

6. Any other relevant information: