Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 22 00:35:06 CET 2007

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> langue francoyse" 1606; ARTFL Project, University of Chicago:
> http://portail.atilf.fr/dictionnaires/TLF-NICOT/index.htm

> françoise", 4eme ed. 1694; which is 17th century French, or early
> Modern French, sometimes with elements of Middle French; includes 17th
> century French as used in the Americas

I think these are better subtags than you have proposed in the past, but
these descriptions are really long and unwieldy.  No other Description
fields in the Registry involve bibliographic references and Web
addresses; those are best left to Comments fields.

If it were up to me, I would say you need to find a more succinct
definition of each of these language varieties.  Otherwise the
perception may be that the varieties are not well enough defined to be
reliably taggable.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/