ISO 639 name change: Songhai languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 5 19:01:51 CET 2007

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> There are perhaps some politics involved in say determining whether English
> is a macrolanguage for Scouse, Cockney, etc. or whether these are just
> dialects.

Probably not.  With Geordie, you might have a case.  :-)

A macrolanguage is a group of language varieties which are not mutually
intelligible, but which are treated as a single language for certain purposes.
Arabic and Chinese, as I mentioned, are typical examples.

--
I now introduce Professor Smullyan,             John Cowan
who will prove to you that either               cowan at ccil.org
he doesn't exist or you don't exist,            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
but you won't know which.                               --Melvin Fitting