ISO 639 name change: Songhai languages

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 18:31:57 CET 2007

>The ISO 639 Registration Authorities' Joint Advisory Committee has made the
>following change:
>
>Identifier: son [no change]
>
>English names: changed from Songhai to Songhai languages
>
>French names: changed from songhai to songhai, langues
>
>The implication of this change is that the item is considered a language
>group rather than an individual language.
>
>This change has already been implemented on the ISO 639-2 web site, and
>information about the name change has been circulated in various fora.
>However, no formal announcement has previously been made.
>
>Best regards,
>Håvard Hjulstad
>(secretary ISO 639 RA-JAC)
Thanks for the individual name changes--I'm not sure whether I need to
provide input though; should I look each of these up at ethnologue and
decide whether I agree that it is a group of languages or not or should I
just ignore these and leave this discussion to those more familiar with
these?  I think I will sit this out.

There are perhaps some politics involved in say determining whether English
is a macrolanguage for Scouse, Cockney, etc. or whether these are just
dialects.

But I do not have an opinion.

--cew