ISO 639 name changes: a general correction

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 5 16:26:26 CET 2007

Håvard Hjulstad <HHj at standard dot no> wrote:

> I have circulated a number of announcements with the following
> statement:
> "The implication of this change is that the item is considered a
> language group rather than an individual language."
>
> Instead of "language group" I should have used the term
> "macrolanguage".

No, that's not right.  A macrolanguage is sometimes considered a single
language and sometimes a family of languages, like "Chinese" or
"Kurdish."  What we have here are code elements for *groups of
languages*, more or less loosely affiliated.  That's why they don't
exist in ISO/FDIS 639-3.  Håvard was right to call these "language
groups."

The distinction between "collection code" and "macrolanguage" is an
important one that continues to confuse some very intelligent people;
for more information, see:
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/scope.asp#M

Of course, none of this applies to the other announcements for languages
like "Central Khmer," only for those with the "language group" wording.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/