Reshat Sabiq's requests for two Tatar orthographic variants

"Reshat Sabiq (Reşat)" tatar.iqtelif.i18n at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 07:01:40 CET 2007

Addison Phillips yazmış:
>> What about ussr1928 or ussr1938? Is it the case that (some of) these
>> orthographies were introduces concurrently?
>
> Why the 'ussr' at all? There is precedent for using years on their own
> for this purpose (see: -1901, -1996).

The way are see it, the main choices can be categorized as follows:
1) separate tag for each language (note that there's no unicode
character for one letter in the original made up alphabets, but ŋ is the
closest apporximation available):
1.1) janalif (Jaŋalif, Qazan Tatar)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janalif
1.2) canalip (Çaŋalip, Qazaq)
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%85%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%84%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%82
Note, that Qazaq also has another variant: pinyin.
1.3) Some of these, do not appear to have a cute abbreviation like the
above, so a year or a combination of a year w/ something would probably
be needed, possibly merging 1.3 with 3 below. 1927 as the date of the
conference would be a starting point for most Turkic languages.
2) A common abbreviation for Turkic languages, as used in many sources,
such as NTA (New Turkic Alphabet), NA (New Alphabet), UTLA (Unified New
Turkic Alphabet), etc. I guess most folks didn't like my abbreviations
from the original request, and i can see the point of desirability of
avoiding latn as part of such a variant.
http://www.oxuscom.com/lang-policy.htm
http://www2.unil.ch/slav/ling/textes/GRANDE-34/Grande34.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=Z0-2R51tzi0C&pg=PA347&lpg=PP15&dq=Unified+%22Turkic+alphabet%22+conference+in+Baku+1926&psp=9&sig=IvjWdo9fSY3xmG-6Ru_wGEgxoNw
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001499.html
http://www.lmp.ucla.edu/Profile.aspx?LangID=62&menu=004
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BC%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE-%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D1%8F%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%BA
3) A common abbreviation for all languages regardless of origin. Looks
like ussr1928 is the most appealing suggestion in this category, but
maybe there will be some other ideas.
http://www2.unil.ch/slav/ling/textes/GRANDE-34/Grande34.html

One thing i would definitely like to see is a preference for a
wide-spread abbreviation, when it exists, instead of just a year, like
1927. So if the decision goes 1) route, i think Qazaq and Qazan Tatar
should get abbreviations, and not just a year. And as you can see,
canalip, and pinyin also automatically denote country where the reform
was originated, in short, they are more informative than just a year.

P.S. Sorry, some resources are not in English, and sorry if i have to
follow up later w/ more links, as i'm clearly rushing right now.

Thanks,
Reshat.

- --
My public GPG key (ID 0x262839AF) is at: http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371