The limit of language codes

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Feb 20 14:33:21 CET 2007

MG

ISO 3166 has:

UNITED KINGDOM  GB

It seems GB = United Kingdom [of Great Britain and Northern Ireland]
as far as ISO 3166 is concerned

You write:  "United Kingdom (UK) includes part of Ireland"
and "Great Britain (GB) excludes Ireland" - the fallacy here is that you
are taking GB to mean something different than it means in the narrow
context of ISO 3166 - which is only a standard for codes representing
Country Names - not anything else.

In ISO 3166, "GB" obviously refers to the country "United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland" not simply "Great Britain" - After
all there currently no recognized legal country entity consisting only
of Wales, Scotland and England - so why would it have an ISO 3166 code?

ISO 3166 seems to have derived the code from the first letters of the
middle two words of the name of the country but you want to change this
to the first letters of the first two words.

What's the benefit? At least the way things are, if in a few years
Northern Ireland merges with the Republic of Ireland [IE] (or if "the
UK" becomes a republic), ISO 3166 won't have to change the code for what
remains of GB.

Anyway I'm sure most ga pages that are tagged are tagged ga or ga-ie -
Do you actually know of any tagged ga-gb? Maybe ga-gb could be used for
ga speakers living in places like Kilburn NW6?

- Chris Fynn