[Ltru] Re: Macrolanguages, countries & orthographies

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 15 22:32:31 CET 2007

>I agree with Peter. I want to get clarity on which of the options the ISO
>RA
>is going to follow with respect to historic versions of languages. Let's
>take the question of creoles and pidgins up later.
>
>Peter, any chance of getting a statement from the RA about the policy
>regarding historic versions?
>
>Mark

Thanks, this would be fine with me too;
I brought up the Creoles in case someone had a need to encode one that was
mixed in with a modern language--which is possible; so I wanted us to at
least think that these might possibly be included in a macrolanguage or a
language collection too.

(In fact, someone at this group wrote me long ago to say that eventually we
would get macro languages or language collections that would encompass the
historical varieties, the creoles, whatever.)

But it's fine to ask about one at a time, so long as we know we may have to
consider the other too.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com