Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Dec 11 13:14:48 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 12:46:27AM +0000,
 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote
 a message of 47 lines which said:

> so far this French alternative orthography is not well-enough
> attested, and is being proposed by its own inventor.

To put things into perspective, what problem do we try to solve by
limiting registrations to variants that have a sizable user base,
"well-enough attested"?

The size of the registry (hardly a problem at the time of YouTube
videos)?

The difficulty of maintaining a large registry?

The risk that some people would laugh at us if we register "vanity
subtags"?

I candidly ask this because RFC 4646 never mentions the criteria of
"well-enough attested use". It just says "This requirement is not
intended to exclude particular languages or dialects due to the size
of the speaker population or lack of a standardized orthography.
Minority languages will be considered equally on their own merits."