New ISO 639 identifier: zbl = Blissymbols

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 9 09:02:21 CEST 2007

Håvard Hjulstad <HHj at standard dot no> wrote:

> The ISO 639 Registration Authorities' Joint Advisory Committee (JAC)
> has decided to approve the following item to be included in the ISO
> 639-2 and the ISO 639-3 code tables:
>
> Alpha-3 identifier: zbl
>
> English names: Blissymbols; Blissymbolics; Bliss
>
> This is an artificial language. It is a written language only; by its
> nature it has no spoken form.

Well, now.  Blissymbols is both a language (zbl) and a script (Blis).
zbl can only be written in Blis, and Blis can only be used to write zbl.
This ought to be the easiest Suppress-Script decision in the history of
mankind.

Posted for a one-week review period, before being submitted to IANA on
Thursday, August 16:

Type: language
Subtag: zbl
Added: 2007-xx-xx
Suppress-Script: Blis

It's almost a shame we can't add a Suppress-Language field to Blis, for
good measure.  (Just kidding.)

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/