"mis" update review request

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Apr 13 20:07:04 CEST 2007

Peter Constable scripsit:

> The semantic legacy is MARC, where mis is documented (in MARC 21)
> as encompassing the following:
>
> Ainu
> Andamanese
> Burushaski
> Chukchi
> Etruscan
> Gilyak
> Hattic
> Hurrian
> Iberian
> Indus script
> Kamchadal
> Ket
> Koryak
> Nancowry
> Nenets
> Nganasan
> Nicobarese
> Palan
> Yugh
> Yukaghir

In the 14th edn. of Ethnologue, one can find a similar list, of
genetic language groupings this time:

    * Andamanese
    * Basque (excluding Basque proper)
    * Cant
    * Chukotko-Kamchatkan
    * Hmong-Mien (excluding Hmong)
    * Japanese, Ryukyuan
    * Language Isolate (excluding Korean, Kutenai, Selkup, and Zuni)
    * Mixed Language
    * Tai-Kadai (excluding Tai)
    * Unclassified
    * Uralic (excluding Finno-Ugric)
    * Yenisei Ostyak
    * Yukaghir

> Keep in mind a couple of things: First, this list is defined by MARC,
> not ISO 639. Secondly, mis was defined in the context of entries
> included in ISO 639-2; ISO 639-5 will likely introduce new collections,
> and clearly that has potential impact on how mis might be used.

Indeed.  However, the present concern is with RFC 4646, which allows
only ISO 639-2 (and 639-1) code elements.

> The intention clearly was for mis to be used when no individual-language
> or collection entry was applicable.

Thanks for clarifying this.

> Equally clear is that that is a vague semantic that is subject to
> change as ISO 639 is maintained and that could also get interpreted
> differently in different application contexts.

Nevertheless, my argument stands: it would be inappropriate to use
"mis" to tag Low Saxon or Tarifit just because your tagging process cannot
recognize them as such.  In that case, "und" is the appropriate tag.

--
John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Rather than making ill-conceived suggestions for improvement based on