1926baku

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 9 16:31:11 CEST 2007

C Eddie Whitehead <cewcathar at yahoo dot com> wrote:

>  actually I started wishing I had requested all my subtags with the
> text-name first, preceding the date (acad1694; and either nict1606 or
> even better nicot16s but with the latter option the two subtags no
> longer quite coalesce)

I remain convinced that year numbers should be reserved for cases where
we truly have no other alternative, to avoid the use of "new" and
"revised" and such.

>  I'm sure the names on mine cannot be changed as of this date,
>  and in any case, if Reshat wants the dates first in his,
>  then it's settled.
>
>  If he does not,
>  then maybe someday there is a procedure for changing the names on
> mine (no need to hurry);
>  I'll have to read the rfc again

This isn't a question of changing a subtag.  It is a question of
deprecating one subtag a month after it was registered and introducing a
synonym with an incrementally better identifier.  I think this would be
a simply disastrous idea from the standpoint of stability.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/