Tags in the language tagged (RE: be-tarask voting results)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 6 17:00:58 CEST 2007

Don Osborn <dzo at bisharat dot net> wrote:

> This is after the fact (apologies - I confess to not having followed
> this thread),

No, no final decisions have been made with respect to the Belarusian
variant subtag.  We still have a week to go in the review period.

> but for future tags could there be a general guideline that tags be,
> to the extent possible and appropriate, in the language concerned?
> Defaulting to English, quite apart from the concerns raised about
> generic tags, seems to run counter to the whole intent of providing
> tags for diverse languages in the first place.

I agree in principle.

> We had some discussion about this issue regarding Armenian and old
> French, and I somehow thought that there was an emerging consensus on
> this point, so I was surprised that the voting results went strongly
> in favor of "classic."

Not on this list, where perhaps we are a bit more familiar with some of
the issues surrounding language subtags.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/