LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: Eastern Armenian

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri Sep 1 18:03:16 CEST 2006

Hi Mark, I think that if there's a difference it might be: (1) that a character in a script might be used in more than one language, and to switch in and out of languages in a list of descriptors for characters could be problematic; and (2) more importantly the user of a tag for a particular language would be expected to be familiar with a tag/designation in that language (or recognizably abbreviated or transcribed from that language).

Just exploring what this means or might mean. Personally I have no stake in this, but wonder about the principle and precedent.

Here's another angle. If Armenian subtags are used in this case, will the choice facilitate or prejudice / lead to problems in later choice of alpha-4 tags for these subdivisions of Armenian in ISO-639-6? But maybe that's looking ahead too far...

Don