LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: USSR Latin (ussrlatn)

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 11:26:58 CEST 2006

 Mark wrote:

> I would agree with Michael that tt-Latn is already available to describe
Tatar in Latin script, so that can be used right now.

I completely disagree. The registrant is talking about an historic writing
system.

The only need for variants would be if there were substantially different
competing orthographic systems for Tatar in Latin. In that case, it is
certainly possible to add one or more variant subtags to distinguish those
variants; we do that in many cases.

I think the problem is much bigger for some languages where there have been
great changes in writing systems over time. Many of the languages in
question have gone from an Arabic script, to a Cyrillic Script, to a Latin
Script, back to a Cyrillic script and now Latin transliterations too; all
during the course of the past 100 years.  Some have got Georgian
interspersed historically as well.

For example take Khanty:

Khanty started off with a Roman Script and then moved to Cyrillic. Not too
bad you might think, but there are 5 different models. See
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/romanization/nonslav.pdf

 However, we should not move on this particular request until we have
settled the general issue of dealing with different transliteration schemes.

A discussion wrt historical scripts and transliteration schemes is required.
A discussion on variants and how to include ISO 639-6 would be better! (On
the LTRU of course).

Debbie

Mark

On 10/21/06, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

RFC 4646 doesn't encode "alphabets". It seems to me that tt-Latn is
already available to describe Tatar in Latin script.