Phonetic orthographies

Gerard Meijssen gerardm at wiktionaryz.org
Sat Nov 25 11:47:09 CET 2006

Randy Presuhn schreef:
> Hi -

Hoi,
When I get an American dictionary, I expect that the transcription is
for an American pronunciation. For an English dictionary, I expect an
English pronunciation. An indication of en-IPA or whatever just does not
cut it. It is not precise.

The transcription of native speakers of English, allows for a very wide
bandwidth of pronunciations, so wide that people from outside Britain
have a hard time understanding things even when they are native speakers
of English too. Correct tagging implies that it is precise. You can say;
en-US-IPA (for instance) is the /preferred pronunciation/ and have more
precise indication of locales or dialects to indicate it otherwise. This
is in my understanding the only way in which you can use it at all.

The next problem is, that phonetic transcriptions are in general
unreadable to the general audience and many transcriptions assume that a
Latin character is pronounced in THEIR way. The consequence is that many
such transcription are of limited use; they are unusable for people who
do not know these assumptions. They are next to impossible for people
with a different mother tongue. Finally the biggest majority of the
people (98%+) have not been schooled to read phonetic transcriptions in
the first place and to them they are useless.

This realisation that the combination of a language with only the
language indication is not enough had me stop the addition of any
phonetic transcriptions for now until a later moment in WiktionaryZ. We
FIRST have to be able to indicate locales before we can have phonetic
transcriptions in http://wiktionaryz.org .

Thanks,
    Gerard