Phonetic orthographies

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 25 08:07:18 CET 2006

Hi -

This is contrary to my experience as a native speaker of English.
Many speakers of English have a larger vocabulary for reading
than for speaking.  If I decide I want to start using one
of those words in conversation, I need to look it up in a
dictionary and use its transcription to figure out how
to pronounce it.

Randy