[Ltru] Re: [iso15924-jac] Re: Phonetic orthographies

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 22 23:23:52 CET 2006

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of David Starner

> > I know nothing about this orthography. But whether it is phonetic or
> > phonemic, I would suggest that it is limited to this and perhaps a few
> > other languages. Therefore allocating a per language extension for this
> > orthography seems sensible.
>
> But that's not a job that ISO 15924 has chosen for itself or is
> designed to handle. There is no concept in that standard of a per
> language extension.

I think that was his point: in this case it doesn't make sense to codify that in ISO 15924 because it is specific to a single language (or small number of languages), and a variant subtag makes much better sense. In contrast, something like "IPA transcription" or "Latin-based phonetic transcriptions" are applicable across all languages, and so can more-appropriately be considered for coding in ISO 15924.

Peter Constable