WiktionaryZ language codes

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Nov 13 22:15:56 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:01:27PM -0500,
 John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote
 a message of 82 lines which said:

> We know.  We can't accept either (a) or (b) above, given our highly
> conservative position on never changing a code.  Our only recourse
> is patience.

For the specific case of Wikipedia, do note that the big Wikipedias
have language codes which are in 639-1 or -2. The small Wikipedias
which would need -3 or -6 are at the very beginning, typically have
only a few dozen pages each and therefore can certainly afford to use
a private tag, while waiting for RFC 4646bis. The transition would not
be very painful.