[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Mar 11 05:04:59 CET 2006

David Starner scripsit:

> I think I may have been overly assertive here. I know that the Bible
> in Cherokee is normally printed in Cher. I know that in Oklahoma, I've
> seen Cher used on t-shirts and license plates, but arguably
> decoratively. I know the North Carolina Cherokee use Cher primarily as
> decoration and that many can only read and write Cherokee in the Latin
> script; Cher is considered too hard to learn. I know that John
> Kilpatrick's scholarly works were published in Latin transcription
> (not transliteration.) I don't know what other books are published in,
> nor what the Cherokee Nation uses.

Okay, looks like no Suppress-Script is appropriate: the different scripts
are used in different domains.

The motto of Suppress-Script is: "When in doubt, don't."

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.ap.org
The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own