A proposed solution for descriptions

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 19 14:46:56 CEST 2006

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> Firstly, that would be "Côte d???Ivoire". Secondly, that is French
> and most of the entries in CLDR (1.3, I don't have the 1.4 data
> easily searchable) for 'CI' list a translation of that French name
> into another language. So are you opposing the CLDR data on
> this? (I have no idea what the "Ivorian" government thinks of this.)

Firstly, I know where the diacritics go, but it's not so easy for me to
type them on the fly.  Secondly, it is not quite French (see below).
Thirdly, I am reporting, not proposing or opposing.  Fourthly (from
Wikipedia):

# Name
#
# History
#
# The country was originally known in English as Ivory Coast, and
# corresponding translations in other languages: Côte-d'Ivoire
# in French, Elfenbeinküste in German, Costa de Marfil in Spanish,
# Norsunluurannikko in Finnish, Pantai Gading in Indonesian, Ivoorkust in
# Dutch, Wybrzeże Kości Słoniowej in Polish, Costa d'Avorio in Italian,
# Elefántcsontpart in Hungarian and so on. In October 1985 the government
# requested that the country be known as Côte d'Ivoire in every language,
# without the hyphen, contravening the French grammatical rule that states
# geographical names with several words must be written with hyphens.
#
# Usage
#
# Despite the Ivorian government's ruling, "Ivory Coast" (sometimes
# "the Ivory Coast") is still used in English. Governments, however,
# use "Côte d'Ivoire" for diplomatic reasons. The English country
# name registered with the United Nations and adopted by ISO 3166 is
# "Côte d'Ivoire". Journalistic style guides usually (but not always)
# recommend "Ivory Coast":
#
#     * The Guardian newspaper's Style Guide says: "Ivory Coast, not
#       "the Ivory Coast" or "Côte D'Ivoire"; its nationals are Ivorians"
#     * The BBC usually uses "Ivory Coast" both in news reports and on
#       its page about the country [1].
#     * The Economist newsmagazine's Style Guide says "Côte d'Ivoire
#       not Ivory Coast".
#     * The United States Department of State uses "Côte d'Ivoire" in
#       formal documents, but uses "Ivory Coast" in many general references,
#       speeches and briefing documents [2].
#     * Encyclopædia Britannica uses "Côte d'Ivoire".
#     * ABC News, The Times, the New York Times and SABC all use "Ivory
#       Coast" either exclusively or predominantly.
#     * Rand-McNally Millenium World Atlas uses "Côte d'Ivoire".
#     * FIFA uses Côte d'Ivoire when referring to their national football
#       team in international games and in official broadcasts.

> I brought up "Côte d???Ivoire" just as part of the rhetoric. I'd be happy
> to leave it as "Côte d???Ivoire" (preferably with an apostrophe adjustment)
> in the Language Subtag Registry. I would NOT be happy with using
> "Cote d'Ivoire", however, as that is a misspelling. Translating it to
> English (in addition to "Côte d???Ivoire") would be acceptable though.

Acceptable to you personally, but obviously *not* to the people
chiefly concerned.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.