A proposed solution for descriptions

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Mon Jun 19 10:53:28 CEST 2006

John Cowan wrote:
> I agree, particularly since it seems very important to the Ivoirian
> government that the country be called "Cote d'Ivoire" in all
> languages, and not a translation thereof.

Firstly, that would be "Côte d’Ivoire". Secondly, that is French
and most of the entries in CLDR (1.3, I don't have the 1.4 data
easily searchable) for 'CI' list a translation of that French name
into another language. So are you opposing the CLDR data on
this? (I have no idea what the "Ivorian" government thinks of this.)

	/kent k

PS
I brought up "Côte d’Ivoire" just as part of the rhetoric. I'd be happy
to leave it as "Côte d’Ivoire" (preferably with an apostrophe adjustment)
in the Language Subtag Registry. I would NOT be happy with using
"Cote d'Ivoire", however, as that is a misspelling. Translating it to
English (in addition to "Côte d’Ivoire") would be acceptable though.