Registration forms for description changes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 17 21:00:07 CEST 2006

Kent Karlsson <kentk at cs dot chalmers dot se> wrote:

> As it stands, the entry for 'den' in the registry is ok. But the
> spelling for 'Slave' has been changed to 'Slavey'.

The listing on the ISO 639-2/RA Web site is "Slave (Athapascan)".

Reference: http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html#st

The Description fields in the Registry were taken directly from existing
ISO standards whenever possible.

It is true that "Slavey" has been proposed as a replacement spelling
(Wikipedia says "the change" has already been made), both to encourage
correct pronunciation and to remove the false association with slavery.
ISO 639-3 lists "Slavey, North" and "Slavey, South" as individual
languages under a macrolanguage which is still called "Slave
(Athapascan)."

It may be appropriate to consider "Slavey" as an additional Description
field, and Kent or anyone else is welcome to submit it as a
modification, but this is a separate issue from ASCII fallbacks and
splitting compound names.

> More significantly the "(Athapascan)" part is NOT an alternative name;
> instead it is unique in the regitry for explicitly indicating the
> language family of 'den'. So the PROPOSED new entry for 'den' is
> inaccurate.

I agree completely with Kent on this one, and withdraw my proposal to
split this description into "Slave" and "Athapascan."

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA