FW: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Jan 20 19:32:15 CET 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Sam Hartman wrote:
>    Mark> With regard to the message from Sam Hartman: Morfin has not
>    Mark> been "filibustering".  Filibustering has two components:
>    Mark> . prolonged speech that obstructs progress . being in
>    Mark> technical compliance with established procedures
> I did not intend to imply he was filibustering; I intended to imply he
> claimed he was doing so.

I understand/understood that completely.  I did not intend to suggest that
you said otherwise.  I was merely addressing his claim that the behavior
in question was "filibustering".

> I do not believe a discussion of whether he is actually filibustering
> is useful because I believe that the consensus of this community would
> be that filibustering is not a practice we wish to have in our
> organization.

I agree completely.

To clarify/summarize my position, in order to accept Morfin's defense, it
is necessary to accept that:
  (1) that filibustering is acceptable behavior
  (2) Morfin's behavior is filibustering.

Rejection of either claim is sufficient to reject the defense.  I reject
both claims in entirety.  I recommend that the IESG do so as well.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc