additions to ISO 639 and the IANA language subtag registry

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 22 01:55:22 CET 2006

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Frank Ellermann

> >> Everything from the source standards has to be registered
> >> if there is no conflict for the given type.
>
> > Where exactly is this stated? *That* is precisely my
> > question.
>
> First paragraph of 3.3, the Language Subtag Reviewer MUST
> - evaluate each change
> - determine whether it conflicts with existing registry entries
> - submit the information to IANA for inclusion in the registry

I was guessing it amounted to this. To me, this doesn't clearly state
that *all* must be added unless there's a conflict. We read it that way
because we wrote it and we know what we meant; but I would be not at all
surprised if someone who didn't contribute to writing this came away
with a different interpretation.

If anyone is taking notes for the next round (I'm not suggesting another
draft for bis), I think this should be tightened up.

Peter Constable