Language subtag modification request: frr Suppress-Script Latn

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 16 15:39:09 CET 2006

Tex Texin <tex at xencraft dot com> wrote:

> guys,
> How about the reviewer reject it with the comment that we should
> consider the modification and just do it once with consensus...

Because "consensus" has nothing to do with adding subtags that
correspond to code elements in the core standards.

Really, this is quite different from the individual-request case.  The
Reviewer has little or no say in whether a subtag like 'frr' should be
added.  Even if he questioned the scholarship or doubted that 'frr' was
really a separate language from 'fy', he must still approve the subtag
because of its existence in ISO 639.

This goes for the list as well.  It makes no difference whether we like
this subtag, or build "consensus" around adding it.

Are I off-base on this?  Is everyone else reading Sections 3.3 and 3.5
differently from the way I am?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA