Is there a subtag for 'plain English' or 'simplified English'

Peter Constable petercon at
Tue Dec 19 16:47:56 CET 2006

Perhaps variant subtags "colloq" and "legal" (and perhaps others for
other registers of English usage). Of course, the vast majority of
English content is colloquial, so "colloq" would only get used in
particular application contexts, e.g. if you were maintaining a corpus
of documents used for training natural-language processing tools.






From: ietf-languages-bounces at
[mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at] On Behalf Of Hoag, Regina
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:53 AM
To: ietf-languages at
Subject: Is there a subtag for 'plain English' or 'simplified English'


What would you suggest to indicate the difference between something
written in English and a simplified English "translation" of that
content. For example, the legal wording of a bill submitted to voters
and the "plain English" translation of that bill.

Would it be appropriate in this case to use a user extension? (e.g.

If an alternative already exists, I understand it would be better not to
use a private use subtag, however this distinction may be too
idiosyncratic for a general tag. What do you think?

Regina Hoag 
Regina Hoag
Applications System Analyst/Programmer
SRCE - Scoring Technology 

Don't just think outside the box... use it for kindling... 

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or
confidential information.
It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if
addressed incorrectly.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not
disclose, copy, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and
delete it from
your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.
Thank you for your compliance.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the Ietf-languages mailing list