Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Sat Dec 16 21:59:45 CET 2006

> FTR, I *still* think that allowing generative subtags was a mistake from
the start (made in ISO 646, adopted by RFC 1766, for which I am solidly to
blame)

I think you sell yourself short. An assessment of whether a feature was a
success really depends on whether the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. And
by that account, your choice of a generative mechanism has been a great
success; there are very few problems with it in practice, and it has proved
to be an extremely valuable tool in the identification of language in
software.

> And I thought the purpose of 4646 was to update 3066 to give a sensible
handling of the script tags.

That was one purpose, and a valuable one. But only one of many major
improvements. To repeat from
http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/why-rfc3066bis.html :

RFC 3066bis addresses a number of issues that implementers of language tags
have faced in recent years:

   - Stability of the underlying ISO standards
   - Accessibility of the underlying ISO standards for implementers
   - Ambiguity of the tags defined by these ISO standards
   - Difficulty with registrations and their acceptance
   - Identification of script where necessary
   - Extensibility

Mark