Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c Resubmitted!

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 16 06:25:58 CET 2006

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Prefix: fr, frm

One editorial note:

A Prefix field can only contain one tag value, so this must be:

Prefix: fr
Prefix: frm

and a substantive note:

While I have no blanket objection to defining two Prefix values for a
variant, as long as the variant applies to both, CE has defined both
"fr" and ""frm" as the Prefix for these proposed subtags with the
express goal of flattening the distinction between these two languages,
which he views as one language, for searching and retrieval purposes.
It is not our job to reverse the decisions of the ISO 639 experts as to
"one language or two"; I doubt anyone can find a previous instance in
the past 11 years where we have done so.  I do not favor starting now.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/