Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Dec 15 20:16:21 CET 2006

At 09:53 -0600 2006-12-15, David Starner wrote:
>On 12/14/06, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
>>All modern, though "maske" has an extra silent -e, and "whilome" is a
>>lexical item extinct in all modern English dialects.
>
>I hardly see how you can say with a straight face that a selection
>with vocabulary unknown in modern English is all modern.

For "though" read "except for". I did not say that "whilome" was
modern, now did I?

>Between the first and second edition of the Webster's "Unabridged",
>they removed all words extinct in English by 1750, so even armed
>with a large
>unabridged English dictionary, Early Modern English vocabulary may
>still evade readers.

There are words I use here in Ireland every day which might evade
you, for instance.

>Then what was the point of encoding the different German
>orthographies, or Latf and Latg?

ISO 15924 does describe this. For specific bibliographic purposes of
identifying these major font styles. A user who did not prefer
Fraktur or Gaelic script, for instance, would be able to avoid it in
an inter-library loan if the record were tagged appropriately.

>I personally find Early Modern English in full original spelling is
>a bar to reading a text equal to dealing with Fraktur.

Sorry to hear it.