Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:57:53 CET 2006

>I hardly see how you can say with a straight face that a selection
>with vocabulary unknown in modern English is all modern. Between the
>first and second edition of the Webster's "Unabridged", they removed
>all words extinct in English by 1750, so even armed with a large
>unabridged English dictionary, Early Modern English vocabulary may
>still evade readers.
>
>>I don't know what value there would be in marking this as anything but
>>"en".
>
>Then what was the point of encoding the different German
>orthographies, or Latf and Latg? I personally find Early Modern
>English in full original spelling is a bar to reading a text equal to
>dealing with Fraktur.

I agree; I think Early Modern English can be encoded as a variant of
English.

I think we are going to have this come up from time-to-time; it would become
  more relevant to have it encoded as a variant as more modernized 16th-17th
century English texts were published online (this is what we have with the
French texts).

I do not think it is another language though; just a variant of an existing
one; accessible for some speakers who have become used to it; less
accessible for others.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com