Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 15 07:08:47 CET 2006

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> 17th century French is Modern French but with enough of Middle French
> that it is often pretty in-between and definitely tagging it as frm
> needs to be an option though I do not like that tag (I would have
> preferred fr-moyen but it was not my vote; I was not involved at that
> time).

That was not our decision.  The code elements "fr" and "frm" are part of
ISO 639 and were automatically added to the Registry on that basis.  ISO
639 does not deal with variant subtags such as "moyen".

For that matter, the dates "(ca. 1400-1600)" associated with Middle
French were also inherited from ISO 639, and were not invented by the
ietf-languages group.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/