Reshat Sabiq's requests for two Tatar orthographic variants

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:43:26 CET 2006

I'm responding to your response to me:
>>Hi, the USSR does not use primarily a Latin Script but a variant of the
>>Greek alphabet so I'm confused as to how Latin is redundant? Some of the
>>Greek and Old English characters are included of the Latin-1 character set
>>(I guess Old English is more or less accommodated by Latin 1).  The
>>Russian alphabet is Cyrillic.
>
>This is off-base.  ReÅŸat's requests were for Latin-based orthographies
>that were used for Tatar and other "minority" languages in the Soviet Union
>in the 1930s.

O.k. thanks, I do not know enough about these languages, my apologies.
If the languages were normally written in Latin-based script then the script
tag would be redundant;
if they were normally written in Cyrillic script, then it would be
necessary;
also, if they can be written in either script, then the script tag would be
necessary;
also if they are  were written in Arabic or any other script at least a good
bit of the time (though not necessarily the majority of the time), the
script tag would be necessary.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com