Alemanic & Swiss German

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 4 21:46:09 CET 2006

It is not the case that 639-3 lists “Alemanic” as the *sole* name for gsw; it lists “Swiss German” as well.

However, it does appear that the current draft does use “Alemanic” as the reference name, which I agree is a bad choice since it is misleading, and that “Swiss German” would be a better choice: even if the appropriateness of “Alemanic” is in question, “Swiss German” is not and, among English-language names, is the most commonly used.

Peter

From: mark.edward.davis at gmail.com [mailto:mark.edward.davis at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis

The only reason it does have to do with LTRU is that we are considering adding 639-3, and 639-3 lists "Alemanic" as the *sole* name for gsw, which is clearly incorrect. Thus it raises the issue of whether to take the 639-3 names wholesale, or allow corrections.