Request for variant subtag: western

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 30 01:00:42 CEST 2006

I understand Michael’s concern about generic subtags: there’s a long list of possibilities, we might be able to combine those with any number of languages, and it could be somewhat confusing. (Would we want a tag for the western variant of Eastern Frisian?) But one thing Michael might be missing is that Mark’s request specifies “hy” as a specific prefix for use with this subtag: the generic tags would have limitations on how it should be used.

That raises a general question regarding generic tags of this type: is there an expectation that the registry would be updated to indicate a prefix before people start using that variant with some other language subtag?

If so, then it seems like we would be choosing between these two options: one generic variant subtag (e.g. “western”) with many registry updates to add prefixes to that subtag, or multiple registrations for language-specific variant subtags (e.g. “hyewest”)

As for whether *something* should be registered in response to Mark’s request, I don’t see any basis for rejecting unless one can demonstrate that the “Western” distinction really isn’t appropriate for Armenian varieties.

Peter Constable