Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Apr 3 14:04:19 CEST 2006

L.Gillam at surrey.ac.uk scripsit:

> These can now be more precisely tagged from March 2006,
> but prior to March 2006? If resources in these languages
> were being lumped in under roa, might it also be helpful
> to guide people away from using roa towards this increased
> precision? Not saying include more/less in the registry,
> though others might.

Using "roa" or "roa-GB" would be a matter of opinion: are the varieties
spoken in the Channel Islands French, or separate languages?  Best
practice, I think, is to avoid the collective language tags whenever
possible, but we are in a delicate stage between 3066bis and 3066ter,
where some documents may not be classifiable in any other way.

> With GB now standing for something slightly different to
> what GB stood for previously, what price a comment?
> Especially if it can a) be helpful and b) lead to better
> information interchange. I wonder, however, how/if current
> practise would/could be changed by this.

Nobody knows, nor do I see any way of finding out.

> In both cases, it is the impact on the "system" of the
> slight change that deserves consideration.

+1

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  www.ap.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them