[Ltru] Tagging of silent films

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Wed Sep 28 20:09:32 CEST 2005

I actually agree with you. I've admitted that this is not a pure use of
the language tag. Silent is not a language in any traditional sense --
hence the private tag. But for various reasons, we feel we need this as a
language parameter in our industry. I am not pushing to register this tag
and do not think it should be added to any language registry.

We use the undetermined tag to indicate films where the language is truly
undetermined. When we say silent, we are making a distinct classification
that may have rights implications. And it is true that a lip-reader could
determine the mute language that is being spoken.

We're still debating this, but we may even want separate values for "no
linguistic content" or "no narrative language" vs. silent which has a
specific meaning -- an actor mouthing words in advance of title cards to
indicate what that person is saying. (These films were localized so it is
possible that the title cards could be in a different language than what
the mute actor is speaking. So we could potentially have two versions of
the same film -- one that is "Silent-audio/French-text" and one that is
"Silent-audio/English-text.")

Randy raised the question about what home video software would do upon
finding the qsi tag. It's a point well-taken and I'll give it some
thought, but I'm wondering what the software would need to do if the film
is silent. Or is the suggestion that because it doesn't recognize the tag
it would get a headache and crash?

Karen Broome

"Kent Karlsson" <kentk at cs.chalmers.se>
Sent by: ltru-bounces at ietf.org