Scottish English

Speechways at aol.com Speechways at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 08:40:46 CEST 2005

Peter,
Thank you your quick-fire response, even so late in the day. Language is
important to most of us as a means of personal and social identity, as well as a
means of communication.  I am not as sure as you are, that our colleagues in
the media will wish to dumb down distinctions which are meaningful to the
communities they are portraying and serving.  One of the strengths of English (and
even more so of Chinese) is that a dominant standardised language is backed up
and enhanced by a rich variety of related but distinctive locally spoken
forms, whether these are tagged as "languages" or not.  I hope you will agree that
such important cultural realities should not be swept under the carpet in the
formulation of globalised standards.
David Dalby
Linguasphere Observatory/Linguasphere ICT

In a message dated 10/20/2005 6:35:11 AM GMT Daylight Time,