Transliteration [Re: ADMIN: Please move (Re: What's cooking?)]

John Clews scripts20 at uk2.net
Fri Oct 7 11:28:28 CEST 2005

Harald

I agree with you that

>>> I certainly hope that 3066bis is cooked now.... no matter what else,
>>> it's
>>> time to drive a stake in the ground and say "here's the starting point
>>> for further work".... it's been long enough (langtags-00: December
>>> 2003).

Yes - let's see RFC 3066bis approved and published: stability is essential.

However, just as RFC 1766 was replaced by RFC 3066, which will be replaced
by RFC 3066bis, the world will move on after that too, and there will
almost certtainly in due course be a RFC 3066bis-bis". The transliteration
issues raised certainly fall into that category.

I'm not a member of the LTRU list, and certainly I see what has been
raised by Tex Texin and others as valid matters of discussion.

I see your difficulty when you are trying to see RFC 3066bis "cooked" as
you put it.

I think that this could be resolved by discussions on these matters having
"Transliteration" as the first word of the Subject: field: those that
ignored it could do so: those that wanted to focus on it, without it
affecting RFC 3066bis could also do so.

John Clews