David Crystal's red alert

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Nov 21 01:35:21 CET 2005

At 21:46 20/11/2005, Mark Crispin wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
>>The ietf-languages group is by essence where these pressures can be
>>applied or blocked, as far as the leading technology is concerned.
>
>I can assure you that *every* single instance in which you have
>applied pressure in this group has been ineffective in accomplishing
>positive benefit.

Dear Mark,
I have no intent to dispute with you or any one. I am just an IETF
user, calling for QA. Quality is never easy to obtain and popular. I
do not think I ever applied "pressure" for a registration like other
did: but I certainly behave the way I can in order to expose errors
and pressures, and to catalyse new debates of common interest.

I therefore do not know how to understand "ineffective in
accomplishing positive benefit". What I know, for example, is that
there is a substantial difference between RFC 3066 bis and the text I
opposed and this group thought good enough to be published as an RFC
in December last. All the more if you consider the current work on
filtering I restarted, at the cost of an appeal, while they thought
the work on matching ready for LC.

We all want this group to be in the best situation to do nicely the
best work possible in the best interest of everyone. We all agreed
that this called for changes (IESG). As the user of the resulting
deliverables to serve other users my organisation and its members
need _all_ these changes, as many others we identify/relate with. I
am sorry if I am disliked, but I am determined to get you guys in the
best situation to do what you want to do: to best address the users'
needs. If possible in avoiding the confusion of the alternative
competition Doug still suggests me to create.

I have no problem with that, but is it really what this group want?
To replicate the Tunis agreement, leaving the ietf-languages take
care of the languages legacy internet issues, while a new IGF center
of expertise will care for the Multilingual Internet and the digital
convergence?

jfc

ps. To better understand what I refer to:
http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=15613
My concern is simple: in most of the places the pressure is by the
Goverment, in one it is by people we know.