David Crystal's red alert

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Nov 20 20:56:59 CET 2005

At 18:27 20/11/2005, Doug Ewell wrote:
>JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:
>
>>http://www.yobserver.com/news_8624.php
>>Some of my positions better described.
>
>Crystal's book, reviewed in this Yemen Observer article, argues that
>(1) languages other than English will remain important and must be
>preserved, and (2) the importance of regional variants of English is
>growing rapidly and must be recognized.
>
>Surely no group has demonstrated a stronger commitment to promoting
>the use of minority languages and regional variants of English over
>the Internet, by encouraging their accurate identification, than
>ietf-languages.

Dear Doug,
We agree on the effort, and on the probable motivations of most of
the members of this group. However when the author says "Among the
reasons set out by Crystal for the death of languages are natural
disasters, cultural assimilation and homogenization, displacement or
decimation of indigenous communities, and socio-economic pressures",
I would add the technico-economic pressures.

The ietf-languages group is by essence where these pressures can be
applied or blocked, as far as the leading technology is concerned. My
fear, coming for a part of the real world which is not the one of
most in here, are the perverse effects which happens in _every_ human
effort. These perverse effects (which are not investigated) would
make this effort to help these pressures and would support
technically and culturally unjustified political or technical doctrines.

Doing a good job is a good thing. Doing a good job for an unethical
cause, makes that job unethical and is a bad thing.

Your own remark on "Guam" shows that you are not happy with the
obligation to only respect RFC 3066. My position only goes a step
further in term of security: I have no objection to _also_ support
RFC 3066, I have no objection to even set-it up as a _default_. I
have a very deep ethic concern at making it _exclusive_. This leads
this group to twist reality and spoil a great and good job to _only_
match it. I have a practical deep problem in having no way to
non-conflictingly match other needs in term of modes, tones, styles,
mediums, dates, sociolinguistic or trade entities, etc. etc.

In this I share the "red alert". What happened in Tunis, for example,
just after the UNESCO GA where the mood was different, gives me the
bitter feeling of a Monroe split - in addition to the perfectly
understandable and acceptable technical, political, economical and
societal positions of the various sides.

The "red alert" is for this group to make sure that its work (which
will greatly extend with RFC 3066 bis if applied) has ethical
effects. This is the same kind of moral concerns as the people of the
Manhattan Project had. And I think the impact on the people of the
world - through their language and cultures - is of the same magnitude.
jfc