REQUEST FOR REGISTRATION: el-katharev

Panagiotis Sikas sikas at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 17 12:23:27 CET 2005

I agree with this new language-tag definition, as it
clarifies the existance of the "katharevousa" (purified Greek
according to the document you are mentioning) variant.

As for the moment there are three propositions:

el-monoton:  modern Greek (dimotiki) "monotoniko"
el-polyton:  modern Greek (dimotiki) "polytoniko"
el-katharev: Greek in "katharevousa", always polytonic

That should cover most of the the cases, although in "katharevousa"
there are also two variants. Borrowing the terms from Yannis Haralambous
document a) ancient-like katharevousa and b) simple katharevousa  :(

I don't know if these two forms are standardized or not, but from
my point of view el-katharev should have the meaning of "simple
katharevousa".

Best Regards
P.Sikas