Distinguishing Greek and Greek

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 16 07:44:06 CET 2005

I agree with Michael and Addison that the difference between polytonic
and monotonic Greek is a matter of orthography, not two different
scripts, not even in the sense that Hans and Hant can be considered
different scripts.

Accordingly, I support the creation of two new tags, "el-polyton" and
"el-monoton".  These will fit neatly into the current RFC 3066 framework
as well as the proposed subtag-oriented RFC 3066bis framework.

Naturally, "el-polytonic" and "el-monotonic" would be nicer, but both
3066 and 3066bis have this pesky 8-character limit...

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/